SDRC evolved from the original Shropshire Riding Club which covered the whole of the county and based its activities on the only indoor school found on the Worcestershire border. Transport was uncommon in those days so about thirty interested people formed a new club in 1970 to cover the central and northern parts of Shropshire and Shrewsbury and District Riding Club was born! By the following year SDRC had become affiliated to British Riding Clubs and the BHS and was regularly holding training sessions and competitions at Black Birches (Hadnall) and at a new indoor arena at Annscroft.
Our riding club aims to cater for all levels of ability of both horse and rider. Since the 1st of Jan 2013 the club will accept members from the age of 16 and upwards. At the most competitive level we encourage members to represent the club at area 20 qualifiers and recently have been fairly successful usually being able to send a team or individuals to the national championships with varying degrees of success. The club also holds regular show jumping and dressage competitions over the year, leading up to a club championship competition in each discipline, held in October or November. Results over the year are aggregated to form a league table. At present the winners of the showjumping leagues and the millennium dressage classes are awarded a training bursary. The club also possesses a range of trophies which are awarded at the AGM. Additionally from time to time we send teams to invitation events both as SDRC and sometimes with members of other riding clubs as the opportunities and interest arises. A number of members compete at affiliated level and would be only too happy to provide help and encouragement if asked. Therefore if you wished to compete at any level we can provide advice and training to help you. The club has an open policy regarding teams – basically if you want to compete put your name forward to the chef d’equipe for the discipline you are interested in and you will be able to take part.
We also hold talks and social events so we hope you find something of interest within our club’s programme. In striving towards this many activities mounted and unmounted are held over the year. These include rallies, as well as lectures and social events. We organize rallies in all disciplines to encourage all members to participate You are most welcome to come and watch at any of the rallies. Club nights are normally held on Wednesday at Walford College usually between 6.30 and 9.00 pm, refreshments are provided, so feel free to come along and get to know our club.
- Regular Training Evenings are held each Wednesday at Walford College , Baschurch, being alternate flatwork and show jumping. Show jumping may also be held fortnightly at Berriewood.
- Weekend blocks of training sessions with guest instructors are held on demand at alternative venues
- Monthly winter unmounted evening talks on equine related topics are held at Berriewood RDA Cabin,
- Dressage (Prelim to Medium depending on demand) and show jumping competitions are held regularly with placing points accumulating towards Club trophies
- Cross country and horse trials training may be arranged as required
- Specialist trainers visit on request to run clinics, especially dressage, when a particular style or method of horsemanship is used
- Social evenings, visits to displays, competitions and other events
- Contacts for fun rides and information on bridleways and rights of way across the area.